Friday 25 September 2009

'Not enough diversity' in video games

This is something that really grinds my gears. In the London Lite (free paper given out to read on the Tube) last night there was an article that video games have insufficient diversity and basically intimating that 'something should be done about it'. They also claim that gaming businesses are missing out on potential business by not having diverse casts. I admit that I am not one of those hard-out gamers who play Starcraft or World of Warcraft for 26 hours straight. However, I enjoy gaming - and I have NEVER taken into consideration the diversity of the cast when buying a game. For example, I certainly didn't think when 'Shogun: Total War' came out (unsurprisingly entirely populated by Japanese characters) "oh, I cannot possibly buy that because I cannot personally identify with the characters".
Seriously, aren't there enough serious issues of discrimination and under-representation out there to keep people busy, rather than looking into a private industry which creates fictional realities for people to lose themselves in? I wonder if, when compiling their list, they took into account the number of Orcs, Elves and Dwarves in games - they probably found a major over-representation of each category...

No comments:

Post a Comment